Learning Stuff…

LEARNING STUFF…everyday and all the time: learning, teaching, living

design vs. content June 4, 2008

Filed under: Education,Uncategorized — Ms.M @ 3:35 am

I think I realized today why LA teachers avoid computer labs. Students have so little access to computers to do their writing during the school day, that when they do have a few periods to create something (like a book for example) 90 percent of the time they spend fiddling with fonts, layout, design. That leaves about 10 percent of the time when they are actually writing.

Which leaves me, and them– though they haven’t realized it yet–with a slight dilemma because we only have the computer lab for these next couple of days. They may end up with very stylish books full of nothing. Do I extend the deadline? Do I keep the deadline and emphasize that what they have done is what I’ll assess? Do I take their design into greater account since that’s what their focus seems to be? Do I say nothing and let them suffer the consequences (so to speak), and then give an opportunity for resubmissions? I really don’t know. I wish we had tons of time to get fancy with these really nice computers, but unfortunately, not only is our time in the computer labs going to end, but so is the school year.

Advertisements
 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s